Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Just a quick post

Just a quick post as I am off to Paris in the morning for a conference. Since I finished writing my talk I have been worrying about the second most important thing: what knitting to take with me. It had to be something small and easy but which could occupy me for several hours on the Eurostar and possibly in breaks too. So I have cast on for a mobius scarf (does anyone know how to do umlauts?). Here it is after knitting the first row.

Should be a good bit of fairly mindless knitting, and is vaguely appropriate since the conference is history and philosophy of maths, and I am talking about geometry. The yarn is baby silk, 80% baby alpaca, 20% silk bought from Elann. It feels absolutely gorgeous. I have cast on 336 (approx, it is a scarf after all) stitches on a 3.5mm, 100cm addi turbo and now the dreadful first row is out of the way it seems to be going quite well. The cast on is in Cat Bordhi's Treasury of Magical Knitting, and is really clever, although I haven't yet mastered the art of not doing it too tight. It all seems to work out ok in the end but the first row is a devil to knit.

Mummy's christmas present socks are coming along, I have just passed the heel of the second sock. I'm not sure whether to take them with me to finish off or not, I might see how the space goes.


Here they are with the second sock on my Brittany birch needles.

Anyway, better dash, time to try and work out what I have forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home