Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

At last

Finally! Here are the pictures of the finished Shapely Tee :

and the back view:

Technical Details

The pattern is the Shapely Tee, a free pattern designed by Joan McGowan-Michael of White Lies Designs. I used some DK cotton yarn I had lurking in the stash and the recommended size of needles, US sizes 5 (for the edges) and 6 (for the main body), using my Denise needle set. I am going to weigh the Tee soon and see how much yarn I used.

I twiddled with the pattern a bit after having measured my favourite knitted top and found that the bust needed to be a couple of inches smaller than the hip. So I knitted the 44 inch size up to the waist, but then only did 3 increases instead of 5, and so had 4 fewer stitches in both the front and the back at this point. I worked the armholes for the 44 inch size, and took the 4 stitches out of the centre of the neckline, so making the shoulders narrower. I worked one set of short rows for the bust.

Thoughts on the pattern

I really enjoyed knitting this, and it is very comfortable to wear. The short rows at the bust are very effective, and certainly help the front and back hang to the same length. I have loads of similar yarn in different colours so I can definitely see another Shapely Tee in my knitting future. I think in my next Tee I will try knitting the body circularly, I am not really a fan of seams. Also I will have a go at picking up stitches around the armhole and knitting the sleeves down, I will also make the sleeves a bit longer. All in all I am very pleased with how this has turned out and am looking forward to having another go with a few improvements.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:29 am, Blogger Daisy said…

    It looks fab!

     
  • At 4:40 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    It looks great! It's so hard to find a pattern with decent fitting, but this seems like a keeper.

     
  • At 4:44 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    correction: A pattern with decent shaping, or a decent fit. I'm a bit tired and feverish today, so no more trying to speak English for me today!!

     
  • At 6:10 pm, Blogger WandaWoman said…

    It looks great Heather. I came by way of AK. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing someone's finishe Shapely Tank as I've thought of making one for quite some time now.

     
  • At 6:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It turned out great! I have had my ST project ready to go for a while now... I think I just haven't been ready to let it out yet :-) I love the color you chose!

     
  • At 9:00 pm, Blogger Mona said…

    Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Mona

     
  • At 12:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for letting us on AK know about this! Your Shapely Tee turned out very well indeed and I'm sure will inspire some more ladies to try the pattern. Enjoyed looking around at your other work, too!

    Betsey

     
  • At 10:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, gorgeous! Nice colour, perfect shaping. Very nice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home