Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Fingerless Gloves

I braved the loft, (and the rubbish in the spare room which is in the way of me getting to the step ladder to get into the loft) and got the Christmas decorations down last night, so I am feeling properly christmassy now :-) I do like fairy lights. Ours are multicoloured but not flashing. We don't have a tree this year as there really isn't space for it, but I have put the lights round the mirror in the lounge, and also put some tinsel up. Of course the knitted beaded baubles have also come out and are hanging from the shelves. I must remember to take a picture of them.

In the mean time, here is the left hand of the fingerless gloves:



The yarn is Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino in the colour Blue Vesuvius, bought from Get Knitted at Ally Pally. The colour is absolutely beautiful, very bright and I love it! I had first thought that I was going to knit a pair of socks with this, but then read on someone's blog (I'm afraid I can't remember who it was) that the yardage was quite short and that they had had trouble getting a full pair of socks out of one skein (100g). So it languished in a bag while I thought about it, and worried about the idea of knitting a pair of socks and running out of yarn just before the second toe. Then I had the idea that I would like to knit some fingerless gloves and suddenly this yarn seemed ideal, after all gloves are smaller than socks. In fact I am nearing the end of the right hand and there is plenty of yarn left so I don't know what I was worrying about!

Here is the same yarn demonstrating my early Christmas present to myself, a swift from Fibre Crafts:



Its so much fun, I think I might be spending quite a lot of time winding balls of yarn now :-)
The only problem is that the only suitable table we have to attach it to is the dining table and from there I can't see the telly or hear the radio unless I have it turned up very very loud. I shall work on this one.

Anyway, I think I shall get back to the right glove, with the help of a hilarious Jeeves and Wooster audio book from the library.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:31 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Groovy gloves, they look lovely and warm!

     
  • At 5:10 pm, Blogger WandaWoman said…

    I love the fingerless mittens. I made a pair of arm warmers and they are the best. I've yet to find any of the Lucy Neatby yarns, but I've heard great things about it. The color is spectacular!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home