Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Hat mania

I've come to the conclusion that I go in phases with what I am knitting, and I am definitely having a hat phase at the moment :-)

I finished the stripy hat, another hat for Nanny using Schachenmayr Princess yarn (72% acrylic, 28% viscose) from Elann, and here is a picture.


Completed stripy hat Posted by Hello

I'm slightly concerned that as it fits my big head it might be a bit big for her, we shall see. One of the difficulties of this pattern was that no tension was given just a needle size so I wasn't quite sure how big they intended it to turn out.

As I still had most of a ball in each colour left over I thought I would have a go at the aviator cap also from Headhuggers. I started twice since I thought that the 5mm needles seemed too big for this yarn, and then ran out of yarn when I was about 3/4 of the way through. At that point I decided that the pattern really didn't work in that yarn, since the yarn is so textured, the texture of the pattern was completely lost, and I was concerned that the shape of the hat was coming out a bit odd. To cut a long story short, I unraveled it all and am calling it A Learning Experience (TM). I have cast on for another stripy hat with the colours the other way around, which I am making with 12 fewer stitches around and 8 fewer rows in the stripy bit, and 2 fewer rows in the crown. I am currently on stripe number 4 and I still have loads of yarn left!

I am getting perilously close to giving in and ordering some more sock yarn from Get Knitted, they have some gorgeous colours, and I am really enjoying working with Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn.

PS. Hi Emma! Yes I am Val's daughter. I'm definitely hoping to be able to come along to your knitting group next time I am up in the frozen north visiting the parents!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home