Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Crochet

We have been having a go at crochet at the knitting group that I go to once a month in Ash, Surrey. So here I present my first go at a granny square:


and a variation on the traditional granny square:


Made out of the most horrid yarn known to man! (with the possible exception of some truly awful nylon stuff left over from my Nan crocheting ponchos in the 70s, which has now been relegated to stringing up the Christmas cards).

The crocheting has been good fun, and very useful to know how to actually read a pattern. I am rather a self-taught crocheter, and the sum of my knowledge comes from the Ladybird Book of Crochet (for those of you not familiar with the Ladybird books, they are small hardback books, the size of a thin paperback with about 20 - 30 pages, and lots of pictures, aimed at introducing children to various topics). I don't think I will be abandoning the knitting any time soon though. I like the fabric produced by knitting more, although crochet does certainly have its uses and is handy to know.
Speaking of knitting, one and a half samples left to go for my City and Guilds homework ... (and a lot of painting too).

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 2:15 am, Blogger Rabybird said…

    The author of the Ladybird book on Crochet i now 99 years of age and is in a band called The Zimmers - they have appeared on Graham Norton's TV show. Just thought I'd add this out of interest - you can read more about this on http://www.theweeweb.co.uk/public/ladybird_authors.php?id=1107

     

Post a Comment

<< Home