Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Finished shawl

After all the excitement of dying the yarn, I'm afraid I disregarded all current works-in-progress and jumped straight into knitting a little shawl with it. Progress wasn't actually that fast, but that is mostly due to the fact that I had to stop and admire it at the end of each row :-)

Since I wasn't sure how far my yarn would go I opted for a simple triangle starting in the centre back neck and increasing at each edge and twice in the middle on every other row. I went for garter stitch since I like scarves to be reversible, although I suppose it is less essential on a shawl. I also added a simple lace tree pattern I designed. Although as Diane pointed out the trees are actually upside down when you are wearing the shawl. Oh well, I like it anyway :-)

So now onto the delight that is blocking!

First we have a shawl in its unblocked state, looking not very lacy and rather wobbly round the edges:


And as if by magic with the addition of a few million pins, ta da:


A gratuitous close-up of my upside down trees:


And even closer - you can tell I am enjoying this can't you :-)


This is being blocked on my new super adjustable blocking system, otherwise known as a set of foam recreation mats for 3-8 year olds from the Early Learning Centre . They are 60cm (2 foot) square and fit together like big jigsaw pieces. They come in packs of 4 and I bought 2 packs so I think that will be sufficient to create shapes to block just about anything I can think of. Also they fit down the back of the spare bed when not in use, very handy.
And, finally the shots of me wearing the new shawl:



I was worried that it would be too titchy to be of any use and was very pleasantly surprised. It is a pretty good size, not bad considering it is only 100g of 4ply weight cotton.

I'm afraid I appear to be pulling a strange face in the next one. I am probably instructing the photographer :-)


Now I am going to be good and go back to all the abandoned projects, and also do my City and Guilds homework before the night before (next class is a week on sunday, I have already done half of the knitting part of the homework).

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 9:47 pm, Blogger Nickerjac said…

    It looks fantastic :)

     
  • At 10:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's really pretty. Love the colours.

     
  • At 11:27 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    it's beautiful! Did you really dye the yarn yourself? you must be so pleased!!

     
  • At 9:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It looks gorgeous! And there's nothing wrong with upside down trees ;-)

    I want some of those mat things!

     
  • At 10:23 pm, Blogger bigyarnmama said…

    What a beautiful shawl!! Nice job. The trees actually did not look upside down and if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed. They are just a different type of tree!!

     
  • At 1:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful shawl, Heather, and thanks for the tip on ELC playmats! I can't pin onto carpet very well, and have to arrange blocking when the bed's not in use!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home