Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bullet-proof socks

While having a bit of a tidy up on my camera I discovered these pictures, and realised that although I finished these socks before Christmas I hadn't actually blogged about them.


The yarn is alpaca sock blend (60% alpaca, 20% merino, 20% nylon) from Alpaca Plus in Canada.

I ordered 3 skeins (100g each), one in dark green, one navy and one brown. Unfortunately I discovered after making one sock in the brown that one skein would not be sufficient for two socks, so decided to make a pair with green legs and blue feet, and another pair using the left overs from the first pair, and the brown.
The pattern on the leg is a kind of cable, over three stitches and 4 rows. On row one you cable the right most stitch over the centre stitch. Rows 2 and 4 are plain, then on row 3 you cable the centre stitch over the left most stitch. A cable in two stages. It doesn't pull in as much as cabling two stitches over two would, and I like the look.

This yarn is very robust and a lot more rustic than I had really been expecting, and the socks have come out practically bullet-proof. They are very good for cold days though and I am wearing this pair today.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thoes socks are gorgeous!
    (The bullet proof ones, of different coloured alpaca ... that you finished a while ago.)
    Such tiny, dainty cables!

    I will have to remember your "cabling in two stages".

    Thank you for showing them,
    Janey
    (janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca)

     
  • At 4:57 pm, Blogger Padraigan said…

    I hope you don't get shot in the foot !!

     
  • At 6:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heather, you certainly are an accomplished knitter! I belong to two knitting clubs (more for talk) and we have discussed your bracelet which I LOVE.. Peggy G.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home