Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Monday, August 20, 2007

It's arrived!

I caved and finally ordered some of the Kauni yarn everyone has been going on about. It is such fantastic colours I couldn't resist, and it arrived on Saturday! I had been hoping that the weather would perk up a bit so I could take pictures outside, but it hasn't so I'm afraid we have inside pictures today:


Surprisingly (!?) I ordered the brightest colour they had (EQ), and while I was at it a couple of balls of Trekking found its way into my shopping basket too. It was the first time I have ordered from Astrid's Dutch Obsessions and the process all went very smoothly and quickly, and she even included a little piece of cake! (just visible on the right of the picture above). I have been very restrained and haven't casted on yet, I am still plotting what exactly I am going to do. The yarn is very nice and I love the long stretches of colour. My only niggle is that it isn't the softest yarn in the world. I think it will be ok, it is not that harsh, but I would love to find something in colours like this but perhaps in merino. If you have come across anything I would love to know about it!

Stranded hat

The hat is trotting along, I have started the decreases for the crown (and changed my mind, undid about 20 rows and redid them), here you see version 2 (version 1 didn't live long enough to have its photo taken):


My hands are definitely getting more used to knitting together, although I am still haven't some difficulties with pulling the yarn in the left hand too tight, anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

The Japanese short rows aren't too much of a pain once you get going. Also, while the pins are handy while you are starting out because they make it completely clear exactly which thread you need to pick up, I think you can dispense with them once you have got the idea. Once you have got rid of the pins it it probably less fiddly even than the wrapping method. I am going to do some more experimenting so watch this space!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:28 am, Blogger Fiona said…

    Oooh six balls of the Kauni! I am looking forward to seeing what you decide to make with that. Mitres again, perhaps?

     
  • At 7:40 pm, Blogger Rosie said…

    Those colours are mouthwatering (although I'm struggling to think of any food that really resembles the green/blue combination: mussels with their shells on plus leeks, maybe?!)

     
  • At 9:36 pm, Blogger Joanna said…

    Great colours in the Kauni, and the trekking, I'm very partial to purples at the moment, nice hat too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home