Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A swatch and some progress

I had just about given up all hope of Blogger actually allowing me to upload any pictures when finally I managed it. It seems that whenever Blogger is being irritating enough for me to start researching alternatives it pulls its socks up and I think I'll just give it another week or so. It is still in the back of my mind to possibly change hosts though so those of you who use something other than Blogger, what do you use? and what do you think of it?

Back to the knitting content:

At knitting group on Wednesday Masumi was knitting a blanket for charity using a lovely wave pattern. She generously let us write the pattern down so I had a go:



I think it would make a great scarf. A very easy pattern too as it is only a 3 row repeat. I knitted this sample out of some left over Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, colour Get Knitted .

After knitting group I headed down to Farham to see if the new Interknit Cafe had any of her new stock. Last time I was there only about a third of what she was hoping to stock had actually arrived. She had a lot more this time though is still expecting more! I see an excuse for another outing on the horizon.

Some of the yarns that had arrived are by Garn Studio . They have some lovely yarns, at pretty reasonable prices. Of course some had to come home with me :-)

This is Inka 72% acrylic, 28% wool, knit on 7mm - 8mm needles for a tension of 16 sts x 11 rows to 10cm. The colours are just fabulous. I bought colour 5, and my Mum bought some in one of the other colours. It contains really long lengths of each colour, similar to Noro (but without the bits of Japanese countryside) which is why the balls above look to be completely different colours even though they are actually the same dye lot. Garn Studio have loads of patterns you can download for free on their website (in English!) and I had a very fun time printing a load out. The pattern I am going to knit with the Inka is Jacket with Circle Pattern . It looks fun and I think would work with the multi-coloured-ness of the yarn. I am slightly concerned about the way the sleeves join on as in the picture they look a little odd. The model is standing in a rather artificial pose though so that may make a difference.

I was so keen to start this that I got out my Denise needle set to do some swatches only to discover that a 7mm needle which the pattern calls for lies between a US size 10 1/2, and a US size 11. I swatched with both the 10 1/2 and the 11 but there is a big difference in size (a 10 1/2 is 6.3mm and an 11 is 7.7mm) and the fabric produced wasn't what I was after. I have ordered a 7mm Addi Turbo to use, and am going to actually finish up some of my other projects on the needles while it is in transit.

As well as the Inka I also found a few other bits to come home with me.

Two balls of Garn Studio alpaca, it also came in a fantastic kingfisher colour although she didn't have any in. She is going to order some and it should be in in a week or so so I will have to work out what I would like to knit with it. A ball of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, the colour is actually slightly darker than this. I bought just one ball so that I can do some swatches and see what sort of thing I would like to make and then go back and buy enough to actually make it. And finally three balls of Patons DK cotton, this is the same as the 7 balls I bought last time I was in the shop, and is even the same dye lot! ( a customer had returned it). I should now definitely have enough for a T-shirt thing for me so I am very happy.

Those of you with long memories may remember my patchwork jumper I started knitting during the Knitting Olympics . I have finally started knitting on it again and am nearly up to attaching the first sleeve to the body (I haven't actually started the second sleeve).
With the help of the Big Royal Dig this is progressing quite well.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather !
    I can vouch for how fab the Garnstudio yarn is ! Val asked me to send you this link :

    http://www.celtic-sheepskin.co.uk/cat_boots.asp

    Foot wear is a major problem for me,but these & Birkensock Arizonas are the only decent things that fit !

     
  • At 8:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did Madeline from WhiteLiesDesigns, the whole pattern looks VERY similar and the sleeves are attached in the same way. I think really the only differnece between the two is that madeline had a lace collar! :) Anyways the sleeves will be fine, I know that mine are. The only thing I find is that you have to hold it close high or wear it slightly off the shoulders, but once you get it to where you like it its easy from then on. I found the jacket to be ever so comfortable. And as the construction seems the same I am sure you will as well. :)

     
  • At 10:21 pm, Blogger Rosie said…

    Love the look of that yarn and pattern. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home