Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Japanese short rows

The two-colour hat is jogging along. It now looks much the same as before but slightly longer so I have spared you an update photograph. Instead I will share something else I have been working on.

I found a great tutorial on Japanese short rows and have been doing a bit of experimenting on my latest pair of socks. I found all the safety pins a bit cumbersome but very helpful for a beginner. I'm sure that once I have practiced a few times I wont need them anymore, but it is nice to be able to clearly see which loop needs to be picked up.


I definitely think I am getting a more even result than I normally do with wrapped short rows. With wrapped short rows one side of the heel seems to be fine, but the other side is a bit sloppy. I might have a go at the yarn over short rows as well, just to compare, but so far I really like the Japanese method. I am looking forward to trying it out on something other than socks too.

The yarn I am using is Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Socks That Rock Lightweight (100% merino) in colour Sunstone. It is a really nice yarn to knit with, very soft and comfortable. Their website is very dangerous, in the process of looking looking up those links I have found two new colourways I am keen on - oh dear.

Also the new Interweave Knits and Vogue Knitting magazines arrived this morning, so I am going to enjoy reading them while I eat my lunch.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 3:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It looks so neat with those ridges. But to be honest, it looks like there is a lot of hustle with the pins as well. I always used the wrapped stitch technique. I'd have to check the instructions and give it a go.

     
  • At 11:13 am, Blogger Rachel said…

    I rather belated comment to say your blue jumper is utterly gorgeous.

    I never wrap stitches when doing short rows. I pick up a loop from the stitch below. But then I don't do a vast number of short rows.

     
  • At 9:47 pm, Blogger Joanna said…

    Look at all these posts...by the way just to prove what a small world it really is I was just flicking through my regular blog reads when I had a look at my friend Mariannes blog and she was off to do some dyeing with Rosie, who is the same Rosie you mentioned today..how funny! Your short rows look really tidy, just going to read the destructions!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home