Heather Knits

Where Heather waffles on about knitting and anything else which crosses her mind.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Bath

The sock has been hard at work again. So hard in fact that I finished the first sock and started the second. Here is the new sock with the new bath!

Installed but not plumbed in, this was the view last night.

And here is an exhausted sock admiring the new floor:
I'll ask the sock what its availability is for DIY in other people's houses Daisy !

While the sock (with the aid of the plumbers) was hard at work yesterday I had a nice little trip to Fibre Crafts , the official excuse being my Mum's birthday today and I was trying to find her something. They didn't have the book she was looking for (Knitting Nature by Norah Gaughan) so I bought it from Amazon but I did treat myself to 3 books. Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller, Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle, and Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls by Martha Waterman. I have this hankering to knit a shawl, to knit lace, and to knit something ludicrously complicated, I'm not sure yet whether these three things will manifest themselves in the same piece of knitting or not.

As well as the books I gave in and bought a skein of Shantung silk yarn , the colour is Gentian I think and is the most fabulous colour ever.

I have been eyeing this yarn every time I go to Fibre Crafts for years, it feels lovely and comes in the most beautiful colours. The one downside is it is ridiculously fine. For scale, the knitting needle in the photographs is a 1.5mm dpn.
I think it may have been a moment of insanity which persuaded me that knitting with this would be a good idea. I shall give it a go though, it will keep me busy for a nice long time :-)

4 Comments:

  • At 1:25 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    aahhh, beautiful yarn. Are you using it for a lace shawl?

     
  • At 3:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You'll enjoy all three books. Folk shawls is mainly shawl patterns, but the other two are great reference books. Bet that yarn has great yardage - you could try a huge circular or square shawl and still have loads left!

     
  • At 12:07 am, Blogger m said…

    If you get too frustrated, you can always double the yarn up before knitting. The colour is heavenly!

     
  • At 7:48 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Wow, that's gorgeous yarn. The colour is fab.

    GO sock!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home